Over the last several weeks, Trinity's track team has participated in several local meets. The team has performed well and several "trackletes" have even broken personal and long-standing records.
On May 13, the Spartans competed in the League Meet at Lutheran High North against the 8 other Lutheran schools in the area. Many of the Spartans turn in their best times, heights and distances. Overall, the boys team placed third in the meet and the girls placed fifth. There were several highlights from the meet, including:
- Fifth-grader Nino earned third in the 200-meter dash
- Eighth-grader Caleb finished second in the 400-meter run
- Sixth-grader Will finished second in high jump
- Eighth-grader Mychala got second place in shotput
- The boys B earned a second place finish in the 4x400-meter relay
- The boys A finished first in the 4x400-meter relay.
- Eighth-grader Caleb received first in the shotput
Also in the league meet, eighth-grader Caleb cleared 5'10" to earn first place in the high jump, breaking the old league record of 5'7" which was set in 1985.
On May 20, the team competed in the regional meet at Lutheran High North. Despite illness, injuries and the chilly weather, the team had even more records broken.
Congratuations to fourth-grader Caleb, sixth-grader Ben, sixth-grader Will, sixth-grader Brendan, seventh-grader Jaxon, seventh-grader Ben, eighth-grader Vinny, eighth-grader Caleb and eighth-grader Mychala for making it to the state track meet, which will be held June 3 at Valley Lutheran High School.
Eighth-grader Caleb had another record-breaking meet, with a shotput throw of 43'11" breaking the previous regional record of 43'5 3/4" set in 1997.
Coach Katie Erkkinen said she is so proud of how hard the whole team worked and she loved seeing their growth throughout the season.
Thank you to Rachel Nyboer for the pictures below.